Friday, July 25, 2014

Today I am not a bleeding heart by Shlomo Gazit

...I am ashamed of those who seek out war crimes of Israel in these circumstances. We are fighting an enemy attacking us with countless mortar and rockets, all of which - without exception - are aimed to kill us, the citizens of Israel. Their weapons are aimed at our towns and cities. No one is trying to convince me that these missile launchers in Gaza are trying not to commit war crimes.

Dr. Aaron Lerner..
IMRA..
24 July '14..




Today I am not a bleeding heart
By Shlomo Gazit, General (ret.), former head of Military Intelligence
[Translation by IRMA. Originally appeared in Hebrew in "On the Left Side - 24 July 2014
For original Hebrew: http://bit.ly/1tHe5QB

Once the war started, I became a different person. My People and my country are at war. All claims and criticisms I set aside until after the war.

I, as you know, am classified as a "leftist". I'm not ashamed of it. I express my views and I have a clear conscience. If I am asked in the future - in this world or the world to come - what Ii I did to prevent the catastrophe, then I have files full of clear things that I said - and very frequently very fierce things.

I have a stomach full over the way we rolled into the war. In any event, at some point we simply did not have a choice, and we rightly gave the IDF command to enter.

I received an email - entitled "IDF spokesman admits war crime" - talking about IDF forces shooting at a hospital in Gaza, risking patients who were hospitalized there. I do not know the details of the case, and I didn't investigate it. In my reply I even wrote that it doesn't interest me much. Once the war began - I became a different person. My People and my country are at war. All claims and criticisms I set aside until after the war. Today I stand absolutely in support of our fighting forces.


I am ashamed of those who seek out war crimes of Israel in these circumstances. We are fighting an enemy attacking us with countless mortar and rockets, all of which - without exception - are aimed to kill us, the citizens of Israel. Their weapons are aimed at our towns and cities. No one is trying to convince me that these missile launchers in Gaza are trying not to commit war crimes.

We learned that there are no clean wars. There is no war in which it is possible to prevent - and avoid - tough measures and military operations affecting civilians as well. What's more - often there are situations where you seek revenge.

I watched the angry demonstrations condemning Israel in London. Seventy years ago it was Britain that sent the planes to destroy Dresden in response to the German rockets being launched at London.

There is a moment that I, at least, cease to be "squeamish". Israel is at war, and I am a loyal supporter of the fighting army.
________________________________________
IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis
Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on Arab-Israeli relations
Website: www.imra.org.il

Updates throughout the day at http://calevbenyefuneh.blogspot.com. If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.Twitter updates at LoveoftheLand as well as our Love of the Land page at Facebook which has additional pieces of interest besides that which is posted on the blog. Check-it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment