Friday, October 22, 2010

A Special Prayer for a Special Mother

Paula R. Stern
A Soldier's Mother
22 October '10

I have an interesting relationship with God and prayer. Well, that's a funny sentence. There is a Jewish custom to say Tehillim (Psalms) in times of distress, at times when you need special prayers. When someone is sick or something is about to happen. Friends told me to say Tehillim when Elie was in the Gaza War...I couldn't. Friends told me to say Tehillim when my oldest daughter was having an operation - I tried.

I know I should be saying Tehillim now for RifkA bat Teirtzel (http://www.coffeeandchemo.blogspot.com). RikvA's fight with cancer has been long and hard and I pray it will continue to be long, though not hard. She has three children and a wonderful husband, a loving family, and friends all over the world. My brother knew her in high school and though it is sad for me to admit it, I just don't remember her from those days. I know that for a variety of reasons, I have blocked out much of that period of my life and things that others say I should remember, I don't.

There was a traumatic night when my brother was having an asthma attack and my mother says she took us all into the car and drove around to help him breathe better...I was there, they say...no memory. It's just not there. RifkA went to Barnard College, as I did, but we weren't there at the same time. I really met RifkA here in Israel, after she had been diagnosed with cancer and despite some conversations on the phone, email, and some meetings in person, most of what I know comes from others or from her amazing blog.

(Read full story)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment