Thursday, December 24, 2009

IDF Agreed To Clause: "Within the Boundaries of G-d's Commands"


Natan Hamaoui
Manhigut Yehudit
24 December 09

Here's something which happened to me around 30 years ago. I was being drafted into the IDF - the first day where you receive all your equipment and medical shots and army clothing etc etc. It was being done somewhat as an assembly line where your group goes from station to station to do all these things.

Anyway, one of the very first stations was where each one of us was given a small form to sign. It basically said in Hebrew something like "I swear to to anything that my officer commands me." I told the officer in charge of that station that I can not sign such a statement. He looked at me, saw my Kippah and said: Oh you're daati? (religious). In that case we are advised to replace "I swear" to "I declare" as religious may not make an oath.

I told him that even with that change, I still would not be able to sign. He asked me why not. I said that I wouldn't be able to commit to something against the Torah. He saw that this was not your regular situation and he called his supervisor - a higher officer.

After hearing my unheard of and strange objections, this officer assured me that no one in the army would give me a command against the Torah and that I was not the only observant Jew in the IDF that makes all allowances for the religious. (Shabbos, Kashrus etc). I agreed but still objected to committing to such an open ended wording and suggested that the clause "Bitchum mitzvot Hashem" (within the boundaries of G-d's commands) be added, to assure that in writing.

(Read full post)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment