Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Question Erekat Wouldn’t Answer


David Hazony
Contentions/Commentary
25 August 09

I would guess there weren’t too many people online when Haaretz today had an open Q&A with Saeb Erekat, the eloquent senior Palestinian official. It was, after all, around lunchtime in Jerusalem, which is very early in the morning in the U.S. The lack of traffic was also suggested by the very small number of questions that ended up getting answered—just seven.

So it was a funny thing to discover that when I submitted a question I considered something of a softball, it was ignored or perhaps rejected. It was short. It went like this:

Do you unequivocally denounce the use of violent attacks against civilians, including attacks carried out by Palestinians against Israelis?

No answer. Funny, I thought the Palestinians had repudiated terrorism, at least officially.

1 comment:

  1. Well, except that at the Fatah convention, they reserved the right to resort to violence if diplomacy fails. "Give me what I want and I won't kill you." is called mugging, not a rejection of violence.

    ReplyDelete