Thursday, July 29, 2010

Those who have visited Gaza know it is far from a prison


Stephanie Gutmannn
telegraph.co.uk
28 July '10

Sure, I wouldn’t want to live in the Gaza Strip. At a minimum, I wouldn’t like to have thuggish guys in chequered burnooses telling me what parts of my body I can display, when I can laugh, and whether I can leave home with a man who’s not my husband. But using the term “prison camp” while in the presence of the Turkish leader Tayyip Erodogan (who many consider an Islamist) was craven sucking up on the part of David Cameron yesterday. And after his relatively ballsy press conference last week with President Obama I’m disappointed in him.

How many prison camps have swanky restaurants? (Check out the website for The Roots here.) How many have malls offering brands like Lacoste and Adidas? How many are filled with outdoor cafes? True, women are no longer allowed to enjoy water pipes in those cafes along with the men, as part of Hamas’s ongoing clampdown on women, but still.

(Read full story)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment